Victoria's student blog

[PROMPT] Interaction Prompt

What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?

• First of all, I think we can make good use of the existing network resources to achieve our teaching objectives. For example, provide teaching videos for students on YouTube. Students need to click and play the video to replace the face-to-face teaching mode. I don’t recommend forcing students to respond appropriately to the teaching content, because I don’t think anything forcing students to do will usually give useful feedback. But we can design the way to play the video, for example, some specific teaching content is only open to students, and we can know the students’ learning progress through the amount of play and visitors. Students can voluntarily watch the teaching video.

In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

• There are many ways for students to respond, but most of my suggestions are voluntary. For example, students can take notes or reply their ideas and questions in the comment area, or even make suggestions about the teaching content to achieve the purpose of interaction. In the process of learning, writing down some good ideas can help students sort out their learning ideas, so as to have a clear learning process.

What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

• It is suggested that students discuss the learning content in group mode after class. The method of Cooperative learning can improve the learning efficiency and the sufficiency of learning content. They can discuss and exchange their learning methods or their understanding of a certain learning content. This way can also improve students’ self-confidence. Zoom is a good software that students can use.

How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

• I think this kind of activity will increase some workload, but not a lot. And I think this way of learning can improve the interaction of students, they will have more communication with teachers. We will get more advice and experience.
  1.        First of all, we need to find the right teaching video or record it in person.
  2.       Second, visitors who view the video to ensure student participation.
  3.       The final step is to review and respond to students’ comments in a timely manner to ensure that they     can provide help or get suggestions in a timely manner.

All the information get from the post: Chapter 9.6 of Teaching in a Digital Age.