Victoria's student blog

Blog Prompt About Learning, Theory, and Motivation

I remember that when I was grade 8, I was still study in China at that period of time. For me, the most challenge at that time is as a grade 8 student who will go to a foreign country study  soon, but her English  is still very bad. I am coming from Inner Mongolia, which a province not like first-tier cities Beijing or Shanghai could have a good environment of learning  English and have language environment. Therefore , for me the biggest challenge is how to learn English fast and effective in a short time. I need to learn this new language to help and support my future daily life at that time. But a large number of words need to be memorized and important grammar is difficult to learn and master in a short time.  Then, I make my  special study plan which include a lot detail for example : what should learn and what should review in a day. Daily learning plan is help me to motivate myself, and to learn more effective. Language is hard to learn, so I need to do something to motivate myself to learn new knowledge everyday. Study plan is what I do for help me learn English in short time.  It could help me plan my daily learning tasks and to make sure learn new knowledge without forgetting long-term content. It is not only for help plan study tasks, but also for urge myself to keep learning.The sense of achievement after completing the daily plan will help complete the whole study process. Learning needs to plan detail and need to motivate. Interest would also get help on learning. A good and effective learning plan will make the whole learning process more detailed and fast. The sense of achievement after completing the plan will keep my enthusiasm and confidence in learning

reference:Motivation and Learning

1. dannyc May 19, 2020

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for sharing your experience with learning English. As someone also having English as their second language, I know the difficulty of learning a new language. I think it’s great that your study plan incorporates self-encouragement and I am sure that you can see how much progress you have made.

One question I am interested in is how has your study plan changed since you began learning English? Were there any methods you found to be ineffective, and as a result, you replaced it with a more effective method?

• victoria May 26, 2020 — Post author

Sorry, i just saw the message.
      I will revise my plan in time. Every week, I will see which part of the plan is not very useful to me. I will revise the plan according to the weekly feedback. Because many problems cannot be predicted at the beginning of the plan, some parts will not be so helpful, so I need to modify them in time according to my own learning status. I find it useless to blindly stipulate the plan. For example, I stipulate that I read 10 articles and memorize 200 words every day. Later, I will find that for beginners, I have many tasks, which are not easy to complete and adhere to. To some extent, it will also affect the efficiency of learning. I will study for the purpose of accomplishing the task, not really studying. The study plan will become a kind of fetter.

Oh, by the way, I’d like to share a little experience with you. I find the memory in the morning is the best. In China, we have half an hour of early self-study in junior high school. Usually at 6:50-7:20 in the morning before the first class, I will read the text or recite the words. Later, I found that only in that period of time can I really remember the knowledge points